Distance Learning Program: Cognition Research with Dolphins
National Standards met:
- Content Standard C – Organisms and Their Environment
- Content Standard C – Regulation and Behavior:
- Content Standard F – Populations, Resources, and Environments
- Content Standard F – Science and Technology in Society
FL. Next Generation Standards met:
- (The Practice of Science) SC.912.N.1.1,
- Common Core Standards: Writing Standards 6-12 1.b., Speaking and Listening Standards 6-12 1.abcd, 2, 3 Vocabulary Acquisition and use 6-12. 1. ab, 2.abc, 3, 4abcd, 5abc,6
Ocean Literacy Principles met:
- OLP 1.a, c, d, e, f, g, h
- OLP 5.a, b, c, d,e, f
- OLP 6.a, c, e, f, g
- OLP 7.a, b, c, d, e, f, g
(Other state standards upon request)
An experienced marine mammal trainer/educator will lead students through a fun and informative demonstration and discussion of the following with the help of some of DRC’s amazing dolphins
- Explore the concepts of dolphin behavior and cognition
Hear about and observe specific cognition research projects at Dolphin Research Center investigating:
- Can dolphins compare quantities and choose the lesser amount?
- What do dolphins understand about hidden objects?
- How flexible is dolphins’ ability to imitate?
Discover what a career in marine mammal research is like
- What are the typical pathways toward a career in behavior and cognition research?
Learn About Ocean Conservation
- Why understanding a dolphin’s behavior and cognitive ability makes us better able to help them and their environment.
- Natural & human caused threats in the wild
Conservation efforts you can do at home to help dolphins and your environment