Field Trips for Groups
We offer a number of great field trip opportunities for you and your students. All of our field trips can be modified to suit groups ranging in age from pre-kindergarten to adult!
Dolphin Discovery Tour
Come spend a couple of hours at DRC learning about marine mammals and their ocean environment. During the field trip your group will:
- Engage in a private 20-minute question and answer session with one of our education staff members.
- Take a self guided tour of DRC
- Listen to publicly narrated sessions on dolphin biology and conservation, dolphin training, husbandry and medical care, current research and much more!
$20.00 per person, based on a minimum attendance of 10 participants, and a maximum of 30 total** participants, including chaperones. One free chaperone per 10 paid participants.
**In light of the coronavirus pandemic, Dolphin Research Center is limiting the total number of participants in a group to follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines on group size. Please refer to the CDC's website for guidelines. As such, the maximum number may be fewer than 30 total participants, and each group will be assessed on a case by case basis. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility so that we may ensure the safety of your participants and our staff.
As a part of DRC's educational mission, school groups in Monroe County may participate in the Dolphin Discovery Tour free of charge. Teachers are requested to call or email the Education department in advance to arrange their visit. School groups must present documentation of Monroe County status upon arrival.
Dolphin Day Trips (Half-Day)
Bring your class to spend a half-day (3 ½ hour minimum) at DRC discovering the amazing capabilities of dolphins!
All of our Dolphin Day Trip includes:
- A private tour of Dolphin Research Center including a closer look at our dolphins from the staff-only boardwalks.
- Time to observe a publicly narrated session about our dolphins and/or sea lions.
- A private tour of our fish house to learn how we prepare dolphin and sea lion meals.
- A private presentation on your choice of such topics as: Dolphin Physiology, Maternity, Training, Acoustics, Marine Mammal Law, Conservation, or Research and Cognition to name a few.
- A closer look at our dolphins with a private training or biology demonstration.
- Greet a Dolphin interactive program- Give a backrub to one of the dolphins from a floating dock and see their unique features up close!
$45.00 per person, based on a minimum attendance of 10 people**. One free chaperone per 10 paid students. Limited to 30 total particpants** maximum including chaperones.
**Should Dolphin Research Center have the opportunity to offer the Dolphin Day Trip program, and CDC and state and local mandates be in place in response to the coronavirus pandemic, the minimum and maximum total participant numbers are subject to change in order to adhere to these guidelines and mandates. We appreciate your understanding and flexibility so that we may ensure the safety of your participants and our staff.
Interactive Program Add-Ons
We can add any of the interactive programs listed below to to your Dolphin Day Trip (Half-Day only) to allow your students an opportunity to meet a dolphin face-to-face!
- Signal Session: $55.00 per person - Experience what it's like to be a trainer and come down onto a floating dock to give hand signals to the dolphins for behaviors! !
- Family Dolphin Splash
- Dolphin Encounter$119.00 per person. Click on link for further information. $
These programs are available based on the interests and choices of our dolphin family at the time of the program being booked.
Dolphin Day Trips must be scheduled in advance. For questions about the Day Trips or to schedule a Day Trip for your students, please contact the Education Department at 305-289-1121 ext. 231 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be asked to complete an electronic reservation form to submit your program request to the Education department for review and approval.
There is a $150 non-refundable deposit to hold a group date. Full payment is due 14 days prior to the program. If booking is made within 14 days of the program, the full amount is due at the time of booking. It is the client’s responsibility to pay for the program on time. Dolphin Research Center cannot conduct the program if it is not paid in full.
Click below for more information on how a trip to the Dolphin Research Center can support classroom standards!